Saturday 9 July 2016

FAQ: a dialogue for two combatants

Performed at the Progress Theatre Play Festival, Reading, and the Blue Orange Theatre, Birmingham.

FAQ, a dialogue for two combatants.
 


A, motorist.  B, car-park attendant. 

A walks over to B.

A:  ‘Scuse me, is this a private car park?
B:  Does it look public?
A:  (gestures behind him at his car) Would it be all right to leave my car
      here?
B:  You here for the meeting?
A:  Is there a meeting?
B:  Can’t you read the signs?
A: When does it start?
B: So you are here for the meeting?
A: Could I just park here before it starts?
B: So you’re not here for the meeting?
A: Twenty minutes, half an hour, would that be ok?
B: What’s the purpose of your parking?
A: It is late-night shopping tonight, isn’t it?
B: So that’s your purpose?
A: So would twenty minutes be ok?
B: How about one of the designated car-parks?
A: This isn’t designated, then?
B: Did I say it wasn’t designated?
A: So it is designated?
B: And what did I say it was designated for?
A: (slight pause) For the meeting?
B: Can’t you read the signs?
A: So where are the designated car-parks, then?
B: Where were they last time?
A: Last time?
B: Where did you find them last time you went shopping?
A: But are they the same?
B: The same?
A: For late-night shopping?  Can you use the same ones you use for
     daytime?
B: Why wouldn’t you?
A: Mightn’t they be coned off?
B: Why would they be coned off for late-night shopping?
A: Special regulations?
B: And who goes round keeping folk from parking in car-parks?
A stares momentarily at B.
A: Look, would fifteen minutes here be ok?
B: Can’t you find one of the designated car-parks?
A: Are they near this one?
B: Can’t you read a map?
A: Do you have one?
B: Do I look like I have one?
A: Where’s the nearest one?
B: Map?
A: Car-park?
B: Do you know Bullivant Street?
A: Is that off Spring Lane?
B: Where on earth is Spring Lane?
A: Between the precinct and the old church, isn’t it?
B: Which precinct do you mean?
A: I’d only be ten minutes, ok?
B: Nippy shopper, are we?
A: Aren’t you, when you know what you want?
B: Does that make any difference?
A: To what?
B: Can you do it in ten minutes?
A: Why wouldn’t I?
B: What about dawdling?  Using your mobile?  Bumping into a friend?
A: Do I look like I’d dawdle?
B: Do I look like I’d know if you would?
A: Barely ten minutes, is that ok?
B: So you think you can make it?
A: Do I look like I couldn’t?
B: (holds hands up) Have I demanded to give you a health check?
A: Can’t you trust me?
B: Feel your pulse?
A: Can’t you have faith?
B: Hear your heartbeat?
A: Can’t you give me a chance?
B: Tap your knees?
A: Can’t you let me try?
B: So you know which shop?
A: Why would I say ten minutes--?
B: Barely ten minutes, wasn’t it--?
A: --if I didn’t know?
B: And one of the other car-parks?  It wouldn’t be nearer?
A: Would you say it’d be nearer?
B: Which shop is it?
A: Does that matter to you?
B: Mightn’t another car-park be better?
A: So where’s the nearest to here?
B: Do you know Bullivant Street?
A: Will you let me go?!? 
Pause.
B: Seven minutes?
A: There and back?
B: Shall I time you?
A: Do you think you’ll need to?
B:  (produces watch)  Are you ready?
A: What does it look like?
B: Are you steady?
A: You think I’ll need as much as seven minutes?
B: Will you go like the clappers?
A: Has any other car arrived since we’ve been talking?
B: Fly like the wind?
A: Is there really a meeting?
B:  (holds watch ready)  Like a bird in the sky?
A: Are those notices your way of coning this car-park off?
B: Shall I press the button . . . ?
A: (turning, running)  Shall I show you a clean pair of heels?
A exits.  B looks after him.  Smiles.  Walks over to where A indicated his car was.  Takes out book, starts to write ticket.
B: Do you think I’m a fool?
Tears ticket off.  Freeze.

Curtain.

No comments:

Post a Comment